Insulation is more effective if wind is prevented from blowing through it. We therefore taped all the joints of the roofing membrane to try to keep the loft wind-tight.
All the joints had to be taped with the extremely sticky Proclima Tescon air tightness tape from the Green Building Store.
Sticking the tape to the new gutter tray and under-cloak was relatively easy. It was more difficult getting it to stick to the old roofing felt on the neighbouring roof.
With the roof membrane in place and taped up we could start installing the Viridian roof integrated solar thermal (hot water) panels.
These are fitted directly onto the roofing battens and have a flashing kit for the junction with tiles.
We re-used the original tiles discarding any that were cracked. With the area taken up by the solar thermal panels we didn’t need to get any replacements.
With the tiles in place on the back roof we could get on with re-instating the solar PV panels.
It was a tight squeeze to get the two large solar thermal panels and the 12 solar PV panels all in place.
The dormer window required some special attention.
We replaced the lead flashing on the chimney.
The vent for the soil stack needed to be taped up where it went through the roofing membrane.
Pointing the verges …
It was a great relief to get all the panels in place and the roof covering watertight again. R-ECO did a great job on the solar panels and PJD Roofing (07867 934 018) did a great job on the roof covering.